Wednesday, April 19, 2017

She's A Beast: Recee Caldwell

She’s A Beast: Recee Caldwell

McDonald's All-American, elite scorer, great leader, and an even better person. All these characteristics describe Texas Tech’s star guard Recee Caldwell. This season Caldwell put up 14.5 PPG, 4.5 APG, 2.8 RPG, while shooting 36.4 percent from the three-point line and 38.1 percent from the field. Her efforts this season brought her All-Big 12 Honorable mention. Caldwell scored 20 plus points in 10 of their 31 games with career high of 38 points against Texas A&M. Her ability to create her own shot, along with creating opportunities for others is special and should not be ignored.
            I spoke to Caldwell about her approach to the game, this seasons results, her take on her play this season, what she plans to work on this off-season, and her opinion on why the WNBA isn’t as popular as the NBA.
TB: what is your biggest motivation?
RC: To make my family proud, and take care of them. My mom and dad have taken care of me my whole life and I wanted to show my gratitude by taking care of them one day.
TB: With all your success on the court how are you able to stay so humble?
RC: Talents are not from me they come from God. Why would I take credit for something that isn’t all me?
TB: What do you need to work on this off-season?
RC: This offseason I will be working on finishing at the rim through contact, moving without the ball to make myself a better offense player, and consistency on the defensive side of the ball.
TB: Do you prefer to play on or off the ball offensively?
RC: I prefer to play on the ball, I like to create for other and put them in situations to score along with creating my own shot.
TB: With your abilities as player and your success why are you considered underrated?
RC: We didn’t have a lot of publicity this season. If we start winning publicity and recognition will start to come but we have to win games first.
TB: Why is the WNBA not as popular as the NBA?
RC: It’s because of the style of play in the NBA they play more free you don’t see a lot of sets being ran they allow the players to just play.
TB: What are your expectations for next season?
RC: I would like to improve as a player and as a team, hopefully I will be able to lead my team to the NCAA tournament next year.
The sky is the limit for Caldwell, Lady Raider fans and I will expect big things from her next season. With her abilities to score the ball at will and make her teammates better one could assume that she will be selected to the 1st or 2nd All-Big 12 teams next season and start to get the national recognition she deserves. If and when she improves her game this off-season Recee Caldwell will be a household name and no one will underestimate or underrate her again.







No comments:

Post a Comment